Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mint Tea

I have a bunch of mint leaves from my garden that I want to use up and thought I would make some fresh mint tea. I love mint tea. It does not have any caffeine in it so you can drink it all day without feeling guilty AND it is so easy to make. First, cut a bunch of fresh mint.


Lightly twist the bunch of fresh mint to bruise the leaves and release their lovely aroma.



Bring a large pot of water to boil. Toss the whole bunch in the boiling water. Do not worry about removing individual leaves because it will be easier to fish out a whole stem at the end of the steeping process.


Allow the water to remain at a light boil for about five minutes, stirring the leaves every few minutes to aid the flavor release.


Next, turn off the heat and allow the tea to steep for about ten minutes. Fish out the stems and leaves and add any sweetener you might like. Personally, I think honey is the way to go.


You can either drink the tea hot or put it in a pitcher to cool in the refrigerator. Either way it is a pretty cheap, refreshing drink that you grew and brewed yourself. Enjoy!

p.s. If you happen to cut too much mint you can always store it in the refridgerator for future use. My friend Eli said that if you store it upside down in the cup (i.e. opposite of this picture) it will last longer. Go figure!


p.s.s. I did save about two tablespoons of mint leaves to make this delicious recipe found on Smitten Kitchen. Another good way to use your mint!

No comments:

Post a Comment