Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Wreath Making

I had a little "Martha" moment this weekend when I was home in Connecticut for Thanksgiving. Every year my mom hosts an advent wreath making event at our church and I thought I would share how you could make one for yourself at home. For space strapped New Yorkers, wreaths are the perfect alternative to Christmas trees and a great way to decorate for the holidays.

We used a collection of evergreens that my mom ordered or clipped in the yard, but you could purchase some of these at bodega flower stands or ask the sidewalk Christmas tree sellers for their scraps. Look for a mixture of textures to make the wreath more interesting. I used fir, holly, pine and boxwood.

For the wreath itself you can purchase a foam circle at any craft store and, for this advent wreath, I used four, plastic candle holders and some ribbon.


Dampen the foam wreath form with a paper towel so that it is easier to puncture with the greens. If making an advent wreath, place the four candle holders at 12, 3, 6, and 9, as if it was a clock. Then start from the bottom and work your way up. I usually do a layer of fir since it is the most basic evergreen I am using and makes a good base.


Peel off the needles at the bottom of the branch in order to puncture the foam easier.


Once you have a good base, start to add some of the other evergreens. Here is a layer of pine.



Next, some boxwood.


And then more fir. There is no right or wrong way to do this. Just try and keep a circular shape by inserting each piece at a slight diagonal and the foliage will do the rest of the work.


Now, it is time to start to fill in the top. Just like the first layer at the bottom, I like to start with a clean base of fir.


If some of the pieces you insert in the top are too long, do not be afraid to give them a little trim in order to achieve the desired look. I then added some holly and used the boxwood to fill in any gaps.


This is where my wreath went totally Advent and I added some pink and purple ribbons to the candle holders as well as some plastic holly berries.


Ta-da! Here is mine from last year too.


For further wreath design inspiration and instructions check out the mother of crafts: Martha Stewart.


No comments:

Post a Comment