Sunday, June 5, 2011

Green Tomatoes

My little sister's favorite movie is Fried Green Tomatoes and it's all I can think about as I stare at my slowly growing, green tomato, resisting the urge to pluck it and fry it. I know it will be better juicy and red in a caprese salad, but I'm getting impatient for some scrumptious summer tomatoes. Isn't it a beauty?
And flanking it on either side are two baby tomatoes.
The other plants nearby are flowering as well and these little yellow flowers will hopefully get pollinated and become new tomatoes! Tip: If you are growing tomatoes indoors, try to gently shake the plant's stem so that it will self-pollinate since wind and insects won't be doing the job.
So far the tomatoes have been loving their sunny Brooklyn fire escape. However, it can get a little windy since it is on the top floor and some of the stakes were starting to blow over. My crafty boyfriend came up with a brilliant solution to tie the top of the stakes to the fire escape's railing, which has worked out perfectly!

Sun. Check. 
Rope contraption to stabilize plants. Check. 
Yellow Flowers. Check
3 baby tomatoes. Check
We are well on our way to having a plethora of juicy, red, organic heirloom tomatoes come July. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment