Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Defeat

I suck at growing tomatoes. I had talked with a few people about my tomato-less state and after the inevitable, "Does it get enough sun?" and "Does it get enough water?" questions, they asked, "How big are your containers?" Well, apparently, not big enough. Plant roots need plenty of room in order to produce fruit and when container-grown vegetables don't produce fruit, even if they are fertilized, watered and everything else is done correctly, the problem can usually be traced to the fact that the plant's roots have a restricted root environment. Tomatoes produce best in containers of at least 20" or 22" diameter with a soil volume of 4-5 gallons. Yup, my containers are too small.

Here is a basic chart to go by when gardening in containers:

             Chart

I guess this season, and this blog really, was an experiment. I've never grown large tomatoes before, only cherries, and they are a lot harder than I thought. I've learned my lesson and promise to have HUGE containers next year. I'm still holding on though for my current three baby tomatoes. I'm sorry I restricted your roots, but please let me taste you before the summer is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment