Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tomato Update

Because I was growing about 20 tomato plants on my desk from February to May, people at work started to notice. Now that they are gone and growing around NYC, people always ask me in the hallway, kitchen, elevator, etc., "How are your tomatoes doing?" And I have to say, "Not well."

So, I'm embarrassed. My tomato harvest has been pathetically puny with a grand total of one. I didn't take a picture of it because it was a little gnarly. It had succumbed to Blossom End Rot. I thought that by mid-August I would have had a plethora of tomatoes. So many tomatoes that I would have been giving them away freely, eating endless caprese salads, and making ketchup and sauce just to get rid of them! Alas, I have had one, ugly tomato. I should re-name the blog, "A Tomato Barely Grows In Brooklyn." I'm trying to hold on to some optimism though. I do have about three baby tomatoes that are the size of a thumbtack head. Come on guys. Please grow big and delicious. I beg of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment