Friday, October 14, 2011

In Season: October

I took advantage of having a car in the city this weekend and journeyed to Fairway in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Whoa. It was amazingly overwhelming. It's as if Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Costco got together to make a super grocery store with a stellar selection. Their produce section is an engineering feat, with vegetables and fruits teetering on the brink of collapse. I could have spent a whole week in there tasting and exploring, but alas I only had an hour. In addition to amazing olives, cheese and craft beer, I did manage to pick up some in-season October produce:


Apples, Celery, Grapes, Lettuce, Potatoes, Pumpkins, Radishes, Spinach, Turnips, and Winter Squash. An interesting point I just noticed: our produce is starting to come from the ground where it is still warm, instead of from bushes and trees where it is growing colder...

No comments:

Post a Comment